CLOSED: Office Assistant
Job Title: Office Assistant
Hours: Full Time (Monday-Friday, 10AM-5PM)
Term: 35 hours per week for 8 weeks
Direct Report: Operations Manager
Rate of Pay: $17/hr
Location: 1-617 Windmill Road, 2nd Floor, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (Local 849 office)
Deadline to Apply: 11:59 p.m. AST on June 18, 2023
Based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, I.A.T.S.E. (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Technicians) Local 849 is hiring an Office Assistant through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
As a successful candidate, you will be part of our small team of office staff working in a collaborative environment to help serve over 450 members who work in behind-the-scenes technical occupations in the film and television industry in all three Maritime provinces.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and direction of the Operations Manager, some duties will be project-based while others will be general in nature. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Outreach with members, potential members, suppliers, and the public. Particularly working with members to update resumes and credentials
- Data entry and filing tasks
- Daily scanning of media sites/industry communications for information to share with members
- Revision and updating of existing course booklets and training materials
- Assist staff in organizing and executing member training programs
- Archive historical documents for digital preservation as well as sorting and cataloging of historical production data, workplace policies, meeting minutes, standard agreements, and other documentation as required
- General clerical duties, (answering phones, photocopying, etc)
- Familiarity with Windows 10 or 11, the Microsoft Office suite of programs, and the Google Suite of Apps (Docs, Sheets, etc)
- Good time management and problem-solving skills
- Possess the ability to work as a team player as well as the potential to work occasionally on their own
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic technical abilities relating to the use of phones, computers, webcams, photocopying equipment
The successful candidate will be given a workspace within the office, access to a computer, and supervision will be consistent.
This position is partially funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program, therefore, this position is only open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 30.
The successful applicant will be required to abide by the I.A.T.S.E. Equality Statement, the Canadian Creative Industries Code of Conduct, as well as all in-house workplace policies, including but not limited to policies regarding employment conditions, Harassment, Occupational Health & Safety. Due to the nature of the business, the applicant will also be required to sign a Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreement.
Cover letters and resumes should be addressed to:
Jake Ivany, Operations Manager, I.A.T.S.E. Local 849
I.A.T.S.E. Local 849 is committed to ensuring the ongoing success of our organization and its members and employees by providing an atmosphere that fosters the free sharing of ideas and nurtures growth through opportunities for training and education. I.A.T.S.E. Local 849 hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We value diversity and inclusion in the workplace and we look forward to entertaining applications from all qualified persons. We thank you for your interest in being part of the I.A.T.S.E. Local 849 team, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility note: This position requires working in the Local 849 office, which is currently located on the second floor of a building that is only accessible by a winding flight of stairs.