Information for Applicants
Membership in IATSE 849 is open to all production technicians who qualify regardless of sex, race, creed, colour, nationality, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or place of origin.
The departments covered by this Local are Animal Wranglers, Costumes, Craft Service, Diving, Greens, Grip, Hair, Lighting, Make-up, Marine, Props, Scenic Paint, Script Supervision, Set Construction, Set Decoration, Sound, Special Effects and Transportation.
To qualify for membership a technician must meet the requirements as detailed below:
Departmental Membership Requirements
- Applicants must have 360 hours paid experience in the department accumulated on film or video on three or more projects and proof of paid experience must be verified by presentation of pay stubs or Record of Employment. All additional requirements as specified by the Department to which they are applying (specifics for each department are detailed on a separate information sheet).
- All Applicants must have two letters of recommendation from Keys or Seconds that they have worked for.
- Applicants must have completed a Set Etiquette and Protocol Workshop recognized by Local 849 of the IATSE, and any other training as required from time to time.
- Applicants must have completed a WHMIS course.
- Applicants must provide a Health Card from one of the three Maritime Provinces.
- Applicants must have established residency in one of the three Maritime Provinces for a period of at least six months immediately preceding the application process. Applicants must provide two of the following documents when applying for membership: (1) Driver’s license from one of the three Maritime Provinces; (2) Health card from one of the three Maritime Provinces; or (3) Proof of having filed income tax for the previous year in one of the three Maritime Provinces.
- Applicants must be of legal age to engage in gainful employment.
- Applicants must be entitled to work legally in Canada.
- Applicants must provide a recent photo of themselves.